A Question About Trends

Tom

An Old Friend
I love my home pc and my laptop. I have an android tablet and smart phone too. My preferred device is certainly my home PC. The trending I am talking about is the popularity and activity of communication sites like forums, chatrooms and social media sites.

I remember back in the 80's Usenet was the way people connected and discussed things. Its how ideas were shared and promoted. Then there was a time when chatrooms were the place to be. You could find chatrooms on just about any subject and they were crowded with people.
My favorite were the message boards and forum communities like here. Bulletin Boards, as they were once called, became so popular they even had their own markup language (BB Code).
Now we are well into the social media communities like facebook, twitter and youtube.

You can still find remnants of Usenet. There are still mini chatrooms and some forum communities but most people right now are engrossed in social media. This trending seems to be morphing into something and I believe social media is not the end game.

Advancing technology is driving the trending. It's becoming more and more difficult to find Home PC units. Everything now is geared to handheld stuff like phones and tablets. Phones and tablets are not conducive to forum communities. Communities like Alien Soup are better with a keyboard and mouse than a tiny touch screen. You get a different feel for the community with a big monitor than you do with a tiny screen that focuses your attention away from the 'big' picture. I've tried using my 7" tablet to view this site and it feels small and restrictive by comparison.

I'm a bookmarker, I've recently checked my bookmarks for the 30 or so forum communities I saved and only a few (less than 8) still remain. Of those (and some had over 5,000 members) 5 of them are no longer bulletin boards but have morphed into a type of social media. Even AlienSoup has social media components in it.

The question about trends is:
Is there a government agency/world agency or business entity that is driving people to smaller and smaller tidbits of information? Is there a push to promote selective focused thinking in the populace to hide things easier from the public?
Its certainly apparent that people are more self-absorbed now. You used to have to 'drill down' to get the information you sought. Now, you are being directed to the information more precisely and only seeing small sections of it. It goes hand in hand with the trend for instant gratification. Social media places value on 'likes' and popularity. I frequently see high 'like' counts on terrible subjects. Some of the most popular youtube videos are plain stupid yet they show hundreds of thousands of 'likes' and millions of views.
A little girl gets burned and is fighting for her life, Who 'likes' news like that? Hillary Clinton is dishonest and people 'like' it? Why would she even be in politics? Because her bad behavior is popular? Where is our moral fiber as people?

Lets go smaller...The wristwatch computer. When those become popular are we going to reduce our view of the world to a single sentence? Will individual letters come to mean complex ideals? Will new symbols be created and promoted to convey complex feelings? Who is driving these trends and to what end?

I fear that there is a near future where AlienSoup and other communities like this will become obsolete. There is already a trending away from discussions here. Its difficult to type out good discussions when you can only see a small tidbit of your composition. When I reply to discussions I back view the prior replies while composing my own. That is very difficult to do on a tablet or smart phone. Is that restriction something someone somewhere is promoting for some unknown reason?

Is AlienSoup going the way of the dinosaur?
I hope not!

personally I don't think it's any kind of gummint / corporate conspiracy. I think younger folks (who frequently drive tech) are more mobile-gadget oriented...and between the gadgets and the games and the entertainment today, maybe a shorter attention span (and a bit less literate).
I thought I was cutting edge downloading music from Amazon and putting them on a cd. apparently I'm 2-3 steps behind.
I do notice that there seems to be a lot of folks my age on Facebook. I heard somewhere, we've taken it over from the kids?

...so like facebook, I see more and more boomers and 40birds taking up this tech, so we should be good for a while even if the kids don't log on.

Yep, Facebook is proving itself to be the killer of traditional forums and similar sites. Facebook was meant for college kids but has been essentially taken over by an older demographic that has taken to using it for keeping in touch with family and using FB Groups for the same purpose that forums would serve.

The younger demographics tend to favor looser platform like Twitter and Instagram where thoughts are not presented as categorized discussions like forums but instead are more like a free-thinking stream of consciousness. The 'thought of the moment' way of communicating has taken over versus conversations.

Lets go smaller...The wristwatch computer. When those become popular are we going to reduce our view of the world to a single sentence?
Sadly I think that has already taken place. Not due to those ridiculous watch computers but rather due to the idea of 'social media' being distilled down to nothing more than jotting down fleeting thoughts and moving on. Twitter, with a restriction of 140 characters, really drove it home. Even on Facebook people tend to write small quick messages instead of thought out ideas. It's not that they can't write longer on Facebook, there is no small character limit like on Twitter, but it is what they have gotten used to.

A lot of my forum posts tend to be written out thoughts and in 2015 that makes me a bit of a dinosaur, something from another era. Forum sites won't die out completely but they will become an ever increasingly niche slice of the internet, something that the general masses won't even be aware of until times comes whey are are seeking out an explicit bit of information that shows up in a Google search result.

Back