On the Run

:D Well my fans, another day another update! I know its been about a day or so since I brought you spyfamily fun and I've been working my little muse to exaustion to bring you this next chapter. Not to worry Texasalias your on the PM list!! I like to keep my fans happy!

Chapter Five

Marcus looked over the book he was turning in his hands, handsome maroon cover with black spine. It was a nice looking book, well thumbed by the look of some of the pages. He wondered for a moment if this had been one of Irina’s books that Jack had bought way back when they were husband and wife. He didn’t want to pry into Jack’s affairs but curiosity got the best of him and he opened the book.

Written inside the front cover was one of Jack’s hand-written notes to his wife, ‘All my love, forever more.’ As well as the date and his signature, there was a sheaf of yellow paper over the cover page of the book and Marcus with a start realized his name was written boldly across the top.

Marcus,

If you have this book then my plan has gone askew and things have spiralled beyond my control. I need your help to make things right. I have a contact in London who can help you, seek her out. Her address is on the book, send the book to her, there is a note in the back cover that will explain what she has to do with it afterwards. She will contact you and will need verification that you are working with me. Tell her anything you think is necessary. She’s a little strange but if you can handle working with Marshall you will have no trouble with her.

Sydney has always trusted you Marcus, since the first day you meet at SD-6 and I have always trusted your intuition and abilities. Trust me now, more is at stake then my freedom, Sydney’s freedom, Sydney’s life depends on you.

Marcus was shocked, Sydney was alive. He had known that Jack wouldn’t just go and pair up with Irina Derevko without a damn good reason; he had known Jack a long time and felt that while he didn’t outwardly show it, they had come to a mutual respect for one another. Now Jack was entrusting him with his daughters life, but why didn’t Jack want anyone else to know. Why didn’t he tell the agency that he had found Sydney still alive?

Because he doesn’t trust them.’ Came the immediate answer and he looked up and around the ball pen of agents.

He knew he could trust a handful of agents inside the agency, Marshall and Weiss were loyal to Jack and Sydney, Marshall he had worked with for years and Weiss had proved his loyalty to Micheal and Sydney over and over again.

He snapped the book shut and closed the draw he had found it hidden in, looking around himself again he smiled at a young agent that walked past and headed for the exit.

“Ahh Mr Dixon sir,” Marshall Flinkmen the jittery Tech ops officer walked over to him looking nervous as usual.

“Yes Marshall.” Marcus smiled at him calmly knowing the man would probably ramble on for a while before he managed to come around to his point, but he’d gotten used to that.

“Well sir its just that Ahh, you know with everything going on and with Mr Bristow going to Jail and Vaughn quitting and Sydney… well just… things feel kinda… empty.” He said with that sad look that made him seem like a lost puppy.

“I know Marshall, don’t worry, things will work out.” Marcus put a hand on the smaller mans shoulder gently and Marshall seemed to take strength from that.

“It’s just that, I don’t know; things seem different, not as… fun without them around you know?” Marshall shrugged and Marcus nodded, “I don’t think we could class Jack as fun, but Sydney certainly made this place lively.”

Marshall sighed and shrugged, “Well, I just wanted to say, I’m here for the team, you know if the team needs me to do anything, you know op tech style stuff not mission stuff, cause as much fun as they are you know I’m not exactly a field agent, I get sweaty and…” Marcus gave Marshall a look and the man stopped rambling.

“I’ll just go back to my work.” He pointed a thumb over his shoulder and turned to go back to his station.

Marcus smiled, he knew he could rely on Marshall, the man had reservoirs of strength and courage buried beneath his jittery surface and Marcus knew his talents with a computer would come in handy.

With one last look around he headed for the exit, Jack’s book held firmly in his hands, no matter what came next, Marcus would stand by Jack.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sydney paced back and forth in front of her mothers room while the young doctor she had called used his skills to help her mother. The occasional Russian swear word floated out from under the door and Sydney smiled, her mother was certainly colourful when it came to her use of language.

Irina’s large body guard handed her a glass of water as she passed the end of the hall leading to the lounge and she smiled at him in thanks.

“Your mother is a strong woman Ms Sydney, she is a survivor, she will be fine.” He said calmly as she sipped the water.

“I know, but I can’t help it. She’s my mom and as much as she confuses and angers me sometimes… she’s all I have.” Sydney shrugged and Marcus nodded.

The door opened and Sydney turned to look at the young doctor as he shut the door gently behind himself and wiped the back of a hand over his brow.

“Well? How is she?” Sydney asked clutching the glass tightly.

The young man smiled and removed his glasses to clean them, “She will be just fine, it was a minor bleed and there isn’t any internal damage or bleeding. I’ve given her pain killers and a sedative; she’ll sleep till around lunch time tomorrow.” He smiled and replaced his glasses on his face.

Sydney sighed with relief and sipped her water feeling a weight lift off her shoulders.

“I’ll check in on her in a few days and I’ve written out a prescription for pain killers should she need them, though she doesn’t like taking them.” He shook his head and shrugged.

“Thank you for coming out so late.” Sydney said with a smile and he smiled back warmly, “Not at all, she is after all my employer; I can’t very well turn her down.”

Sydney nodded and looked to Marcus who smiled at her and the young doctor seemed to know it was time for him to leave.

“I would advise that someone stay with her as much as possible and she shouldn’t be doing anything strenuous for a month. She is headstrong though so I don’t see her taking my advice.” He shrugged and picked up his small bag.

“Should I stay with her tonight?” Sydney asked as the Doctor made his way around them and headed to the door.

“Da, that would be a good idea, she’ll be tired and weak for a few days so I suggest you keep a close watch on her and limit her movement, she shouldn’t be leaving the apartment for at least a week and she’ll need help bathing.” He nodded and pulled open the door.

Sydney nodded and took all this in with a look of concern and concentration, despite the late hour she felt completely awake.

“I’ll call in the morning to see how she is and after that I’ll check in every few days, if you need anything, don’t hesitate to call.” He smiled at her.

“Thank you, again.”

“Marcus.” The doctor nodded to the large man then pulled the door closed behind him and was gone.

“I will call Anushka in the morning and tell her to cancel all of Ms Irina’s meetings and engagements. Until she is fit and ready she shouldn’t be worrying about work.” Marcus said as Sydney collapsed onto the couch and set her nearly empty glass down on the small side table.

“Marcus, would you be able to do something for me?” Sydney asked as the large man made to move to the door.

“Yes, Ms Sydney, anything.” He nodded with a smile.

“I’d like to go running at some point, I like to run and clear my head. But all I have is what I’m wearing and I don’t want to have to raid moms closets while I’m here.” She explained with a sheepish smile.

He smiled warmly and chuckled, “Not to worry Ms Sydney, I’m sure Anushka will already have that covered.”

Sydney nodded and sighed, running her hand over her head, “I’d best go check on mom.” She stood up and Marcus smiled, “Sleep well Ms Sydney.” He said before he too left.

Sydney locked the door behind him and took her cup to the kitchen, she headed to her mothers room and slipped inside without any noise.

Her mother was asleep from what she could tell; she was taking steady breaths from the regular rise and fall of her chest. Her hair was splayed out over her pillow and by the looks the Doctor hadn’t just helped her mother he had even changed the sheets.

Sydney snuck around the bed and climbed in the other side and slipped under the sheet.

“Sydney?” her mother whispered and Sydney smiled, “Shhh mom, I’m here. Go back to sleep.” Sydney said sliding closer to her mother and taking in the scent of the pillows and the new dressing the doctor had put on her mothers wound.

Irina moaned and rolled her head to face Sydney but didn’t say anything else; Sydney took her mothers hand and closed her eyes as she tried to will herself into sleep. Her body needed it but she was still on edge.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marcus followed Jack’s instructions to the letter and posted the book to his contact, he hoped this contact knew more about what was going on and would be willing to share, Jack had implied it was a woman, but by the sounds of it it wasn’t Irina. Possibly another of Jack’s contacts, he had friends in high and low places all around the world so it wasn’t shocking to Marcus that he didn’t know who this person was.

He sat in his car after posting the package and pulled out his cell phone, punched in a number and waited.

“Micheal Vaughn.” Came the quick reply.

“Vaughn, its Dixon. We need to talk.”

Read review and as always my dears enjoy!! more to come!!

Marcus followed Jack’s instructions to the letter and posted the book to his contact, he hoped this contact knew more about what was going on and would be willing to share, Jack had implied it was a woman, but by the sounds of it it wasn’t Irina. Possibly another of Jack’s contacts, he had friends in high and low places all around the world so it wasn’t shocking to Marcus that he didn’t know who this person was.

He sat in his car after posting the package and pulled out his cell phone, punched in a number and waited.

“Micheal Vaughn.” Came the quick reply.
So Vaughn is a girl after all, I never saw it coming ! :P

It's nice to see the boys working together for once, we saw too little of that on the show !

I stayed up late last night to bring you this latest installment. I was inspired, I'm not sure what by but hopefully this will keep you satisfied. I'm busting my butt (and my muses) to write. I've got a plan! huge wonderous inspired plan.... plan? what plan? hehehehehehee

Chapter Six

Sydney woke up slowly the next day, the curtains were closed so there was minimal light flooding in the room, she blinked slowly and opened her eyes to see her mother facing her, a smile on her elegant face.

Sydney smiled back sleepily and cleared her throat before asking, “How did you sleep?” softly.

“Just fine.” Irina said back softly and Sydney nodded tiredly, she noticed their fingers were still entwined and Irina reached out with her other hand to run the back of her fingers over Sydney’s cheek, “What about you? Did you sleep ok?” Irina asked rubbing Sydney’s cheek with her thumb her eyes trained on Sydney’s face, as if drinking in the sight of her.

Sydney nodded, “Yeah, I slept fine. I was worried about you though.” Sydney said pulling the hand that held her mothers closer to her chest and looking at her mother worriedly.

“I’ve been through worse Sydney, believe me. I’ll be fine in a few weeks.” Irina assured her with a smile, the intimate touch was comforting and Irina welcomed it. She’d spent almost thirty years missing her daughter; she was going to take advantage of this time to get to know her.

“What time is it?” Sydney asked looking around a little getting a better look at her mothers’ bedroom.

“After eleven at least.” Irina said with a soft smile.

Sydney looked back at her mother and nestled into the pillow, “I feel like I could sleep forever.”

Irina laughed softly and nodded, “I know the feeling, after I escaped Kashmir all I wanted to do was sleep.”

Sydney looked at her mother who had a soft smile on her face; she had said she had been a prisoner in the Kashmir prison suspected of treason against Russia. But Irina had never gone into any detail about what they had actually done to her, though Sydney’s imagination could conjure up some ideas.

“I’m sorry mom.” She said softly and Irina shook her head ever so slightly.

“Don’t be Sydney, you had no idea, you were only a child. I knew what they would do to me after my extraction. They would never trust someone who had been in deep cover for over ten years. They certainly never trusted a woman to maintain her cover for that long.” Irina said all this with a soft smile on her face, some reassurance to her daughter that it was ok, though Sydney could see the pain in her eyes.

Sydney squeezed her mothers hand and Irina smiled, “We should get up, we have a lot of work to do.” Irina said softly and Sydney nodded and pushed herself up.

Irina went to sit up but Sydney put a hand on her shoulder and gently pushed her back down.

“I’m getting up to make coffee; you are going to lay here and relax.” Sydney said with the same gentle forcefulness Jack used on her.

“You sounded just like your father.” Irina smiled up at Sydney as she climbed out of the bed and pulled the hair tie out of her hair and ran her hand through it.

“It’s spooky how often that happens.” Sydney said with a smile and a false shudder, Irina laughed but put a hand to her chest and winced.

“Ok, no more jokes.” Sydney said with concern and Irina nodded, “Black no sugar?” Sydney checked and Irina nodded as Sydney walked around the bed to the door.

“You’d better be right there when I get back or so help me.” Sydney smiled brightly and Irina smiled back.

“I’ll be here.” Irina promised and Sydney slipped out of the room.

Irina took a breath and lent her head back on the pillows looking at the ceiling.

“I’ll do my best Jack, I promise.” She said softly to herself, hoping that where ever he was now Jack heard her words on the wind and was comforted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The lights were out and Jack sighed, ran a hand through his hair and shook his head, Laura had probably already gone to bed. He trudged up the drive way and forced his key into the lock, with a whine the door creaked open and he walked inside. He shut and locked the door behind himself and dumped his brief case and jacket on the table. He heard a hissing noise and stopped what he was doing immediately, frozen halfway between dropping his keys onto the table.

He heard a soft flump in the lounge and another hissing noise, but now he could make out a voice under the hissing.

He crept forward and just as he rounded the wall into the lounge room the lights blazed on and a dozen people were shouting “Surprise,” at him.

He stood dumb founded as they clapped and called happy birthday to him, he looked around the faces and blinked rapidly, seeing Laura standing at the front of the crowd with Arvin and his sweet wife Emily.

“Surprise sweetheart.” She said walking over and taking his face gently and kissing his lips tenderly.

“You can say that again.” He was still shocked and she laughed softly.

“Your sneaky for a living Jack, do you know how hard it is to surprise a man who spies for a living.” She smiled at him and he wrapped an arm around her expanded stomach.

“Well, its official you surprised me.” Jack said as Arvin and Emily came over to present him with a gift as the other guests smiled and laughed and sipped drinks shooting looks at the birthday man, wondering when they could come over to congratulate him.

“Happy birthday Jack.” Emily smiled and handed over their combined gift.

“Thank you Emily, didn’t I say I didn’t want gifts this year honey.” Jack said looking to Laura who shrugged her shoulders and smiled enigmatically.

“Laura you cunning sneaky….” Jack shook his head but accepted the gift.

“You forgot beautiful and intelligent.” She grinned and Emily laughed softly while Arvin smiled gently.

“No I didn’t.” Jack kissed her temple and Laura almost purred.

Jack sighed and opened the present which turned out to be a new watch, “Laura said your last one broke so.” Emily shrugged gently as Jack strapped it on.

“Thank you, it’s beautiful.” Jack smiled at her and shook Arvin’s hand.

“Just don’t go trying to fix the lawn mower and wear it.” Arvin smiled and Jack laughed and nodded.

Laura looked from her husband to Arvin and felt the same cold shiver she felt when she had first met the man come over her, he made the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end and she didn’t know why.

Jack didn’t notice his wife’s uncomfortableness as the night carried on and friends from the agency and outside of it presented him with gifts and congratulations we well as comments on how outstanding his wife looked.

“She never fails to impress.” Jack smiled and held her tighter and everyone could see they were head over heels in love, attached at the hip.

Laura and Emily spent the night chatting away happily, they talked with other wives and girl friends of the guests but mostly chatted between each other having similar interests and hobbies as well as a common devotion to their husbands.

“I was a little worried Jack would come home early and ruin the surprise.” Laura said sipping her glass of water; she didn’t want to drink alcohol because of her baby.

Emily smiled and laughed, “I told Arvin you were planning a surprise party and he said he would give Jack some extra reports to fill out just to keep him back an hour or so.” She admitted and Laura smiled at her friend.

“I’m glad Jack’s enjoying himself, he’s been tense lately.” Laura said with a seriousness Emily understood, she worried about her husband as well.

“He’s probably been busy, just like Arvin.” Emily said trying to relieve her friends worry and was glad when Laura smiled and changed the subject.

Jack fell into bed that night almost exhausted, Laura curled up next to him.

“I feel like I’ve run twenty miles.” He said tiredly as he wrapped an arm around her stomach and breathed in the scent of her hair.

“I’ve been on my feet all day, my legs are aching.” Laura mumbled and Jack ran his hand down her body to rest on her thigh, “You should have been resting.”

Laura moaned but didn’t say anything; she was probably twice as tired as he was.

“Why do you put me in circumstances were I have to make small talk?” he complained gently and felt her body shake with a gentle laugh.

“Because sweetheart; like it or not you have to be sociable to people.” She said lifting her head a little to look over her shoulder at him.

“I love you with all my heart and soul Laura but no more birthday parties’ okay.” He kissed her temple and ran his hand from her thigh to her stomach and rested it there.

She smiled and wrapped her arm over his and intertwined her fingers with his, “I’ll be good.” She promised and he kissed her hair and her neck and between her shoulder blades.

She purred and Jack smiled squeezing her hand and brushed the tips of his fingers gently over her stomach, “Sleep well my love.” He said softly as his eyes closed slowly.

Laura moaned in reply and Jack fell asleep with her hair tickling his face and her smell invading his mind.

Jack jolted awake and his chained hands rattled on the table, he blinked several times as he tried to remember where he was and why he was chained. He looked to the door and realized someone else was in the room with him, which was what probably pulled him out of his dream, well technically he was dreaming of a memory but he was sure he could hear Irina’s voice and smell her perfume. Or maybe that was just his tired and over active mind.

He blinked and recognised the person standing in his small cell. Michael Vaughn.

“Mr Vaughn.” He said stiffly, leaning back in his seat he felt his back crunch and his shoulders groaned in protest; he had been chained to the chair and spent the night asleep in a very awkward position.

“Hey Jack, how’d you sleep?” Michael asked softly, hands deep in the pockets of his jeans. His hair was still a little longer then normal and he still looked tired and dishevelled but a little less so since their last face to face conversation.

“I’ve slept on park benches more comfortable then this.” Jack said gruffly and Michael smiled, ‘Yep same old Jack,’ he thought to himself.

“So, Dixon managed to arrange our conversation.” Jack stated rubbing his wrists, the handcuffs had cut into his skin during the night and they were red raw.

Michael looked up to the camera and Jack followed his gaze to see the red light was blinking erratically again.

“Yeah, he called yesterday, said you had wanted to talk.” Michael shrugged and nodded at the same time and pulled out the seat opposite him.

Jack nodded and wiped a hand over his face to help wake himself up.

“Did you find what you were looking for in Rome?” Michael asked leaning back in his chair and looking the older man over, Jack looked haggard and tired, stressed would be one word to describe it; Michael had seen the man under serious pressure before and he had never looked like this.

Jack looked the young man over and rubbed his other wrist with a wince, “More then I bargained for.” Jack said cryptically and Michael felt the beginnings of a game of cluedo coming on. He was going to have to guess and second guess about everything Jack said.

“What did you want to talk to me about Jack?” Michael asked getting to the point of their meeting. Jack didn’t like him all that much and he was fine with that but he had asked for Michael’s help in finding Sydney and now he was being cryptic.

“You, you’re leaving the CIA.” Jack said calmly and Michael nodded, “My leave is up, I’m thinking about it.”

“Despite my feelings on your abilities Mr Vaughn, I believe you will be making the biggest mistake of your life.”

Michael looked at the older man astonished, “You will be giving up, something Sydney would never approve of.” Jack went on while Michael continued to look at him dumb struck.

“Sydney is the reason I’m here, you were going to Rome to find her, to find the people who took her, did you?” Michael asked as he heard the door handle turn and two armed Marshals stormed into the room.

Jack looked at them in turn then smiled at Michael; he knew why they were there.

“From the ashes of a fire, does a Phoenix fly Mr Vaughn.” He stood up as best he could with his hands chained to the desk and the two Marshals walked to either side of him and unchained his hands from the desk.

Michael stood up as the Marshals prepared to take Jack away. A man Michael could only describe as smug walked into the room and was astonished to see Michael standing there.

“Who the hell are you?” he demanded but before Michael could answer Jack intervened.

“He was just leaving; he’s taking care of my cat.” Jack said with a cold smile.

“You don’t have a cat Bristow.” The new comer snapped and Jack smiled at him, Michael had seen that look on Jack’s face before, he generally only smiled like that after he had broken a number of bones in someone’s body.

“And how do you know that?” he said back as the Marshals began to shuffle him from the room.

The new comer snarled at Jack and Michael wanted to punch him in the face, ‘This must be Lindsey.’ Michael thought to himself as the Marshals shoved Jack out of the room and out to his transport.

“Where are you taking him?” Michael asked shoving his hands in his pockets and scowling at Lindsey.

“Need to know only and you don’t need to know.” He said before following behind the Marshals.

Michael watched them lead Jack way and sighed, thinking over the older mans words he decided to speak with Dixon, he’d have some idea of what to do next.

Dont worry my fans, I always deliever, I'm just warming up!!! Read review and enjoy!!!

An update a day, you're on a roll !

Laura looked from her husband to Arvin and felt the same cold shiver she felt when she had first met the man come over her, he made the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end and she didn’t know why.
Sloane the troll grosses me out too, he reminds me of a snake !
Thanks for the PM

An update a day, you're on a roll !
Sloane the troll grosses me out too, he reminds me of a snake !
Thanks for the PM

I know!! heheheh isnt it great! Im so pleased with myself, Im like blazing through this lol I've got a little bit of a plan I wrote out while in a team meeting for work hehehehehee. I'm really glad your liking my story Myosotis, and I love your reviews.

Im sooooooo with you about the sloane thing, he makes my skin crawl! He's so creepy! And your right, he's like a snake! *shudders*

Im writing right now so you'll be getting another update tomorrow! Yay me!!

that was great i loved it! i am totally gripped and cant wait to see where your going with this!
thanks for the PM
cant wait for more :D

Poor Jack. Don't you just love the flash-back/memories? At least I do! It seems that Jack has a plan in motion to get himself out of there, and then I hope they do something to Lindsey that is so painful and well... Derevko style.

More soon please!

I know I promised an update the other day and you didnt get it, which was probably very disappointing, but you can blame real life for getting in the way of my genius! I however DO have an update for all of you my loving fans, which I'm happy to announce is going up right.................................................. NOW.

Chapter Seven

The next two weeks seemed to pass fairly quickly for Sydney, after that first night with her mother they easily fell into a pattern; it was odd how easily they fell into the roles of mother and daughter.

Sydney had put on a few kilos and was building up her strength and speed by running every morning and evening.

She and her mother had worked out a routine that really in truth wasn’t worked out, just kind of happened.

Sydney was up at four am to go jogging for an hour with Marcus as her shadow to be home by five for her mother. After her run she and Irina would do stretches and a light work out so that Irina could get her strength and fitness back. After that Sydney helped her mother in the bathroom, dressing and undressing her and helping her wash her long luscious hair. Then it was Sydney’s turn, she always spent the first ten minutes of her shower just standing under the water thinking and clearing her mind, it was relaxing to just sit on the floor of the shower and think as the hot water beat down on her; though Irina did jokingly complain that her hot water bill had sky rocketed since Sydney had arrived.

They spent the day going over all the Intel Jack and Irina had accumulated on their search for Sydney, lists of contacts, holdings and money trails were pored over as the two women combined their superior intellects and intuitions into finding out more about the Covenant.

At five Sydney geared up to go for another run and was home by six with a slightly winded Marcus walking her to her door before going back to his own apartment.

Irina always had a meal on the table for Sydney for after she got out of her shower and Sydney wondered if this was how they had been as a family, if this was how her mother acted around her father when they were married.

When they had finished dinner they relaxed in the lounge and Irina would read or they would watch T.V or simply talk about happier times when they had been a family. When her mother went to bed at night Sydney waited an hour in her own room before sneaking into her mothers room to sleep beside her. She didn’t know why, but she thought an hour gave her mother enough time to herself and by then she was at least dozing if not sleeping.

By the Sunday of her first two weeks with her mother Irina insisted she could shower on her own and Sydney didn’t have to worry about her so much, she could spend time away from the apartment, see the city, shop. Sydney still stood next to the bathroom door though to make sure her mother didn’t hurt herself, Sydney didn’t like the thought of her mother alone in the apartment with nothing to occupy her mind or time. She had the distinct feeling her mother would brood on the loss of her father and do something insane like try and break him out of federal custody. Something had happened between the two of them while Sydney was missing, some kind of truce or silent agreement. They would put their animosity aside and act as if the last twenty something years hadn’t happened if it meant they found their daughter.

Sydney watched her mother flicking through files as they sat in the small lounge room on Monday morning. Sydney sat with her mothers lap top on in front of her and was ploughing through the files her mother had saved their, as well as trying to contact some of her old contacts vis websites and chat rooms.

Irina pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear and Sydney smiled, she’d been noticing a lot of her mothers’ mannerisms and gestures, realizing she mimicked them in some way or another.

“Mom… Are you worried about dad?” Sydney asked softly.

Irina looked up from her work and Sydney saw a flash of something in her eyes before they went dark again, “Your father is strong Sydney, he’ll be alright.” Irina smiled but Sydney saw through her words to the worry that laced them.

Sydney was about to ask another question when the phone rang and they swapped looks as to who would answer it. Irina reached out and answered it swiftly in Russian and just as she did there was a knock on the door.

Sydney stood up and Irina brushed her fingers over Sydney’s back as she passed her mother and Irina turned to walk into her room to take the call.

When Sydney pulled open the door Marcus stood there smiling warmly, “Hey Marcus.” She smiled at him and he smiled back, “I have a parcel for Ms Irina, how is she this morning?” Marcus asked peeking into the apartment to try and see Irina but she was already hidden out of sight in her room.

“She’s better, getting a little edgy about being in the apartment, a sure sign she’s healing.” Sydney said as Marcus handed her the parcel and Sydney weighed it in her hands.

“Well, Anushka will be over this afternoon, she said she has time to take you shopping if you’d like.” Marcus smiled and Sydney nodded, “I’d like that, I’ll ask mom if she wants to come too.”

Marcus nodded and they both heard Irina’s voice float out from the bedroom.

Sydney and Marcus swapped looks and Marcus cleared his throat, “I’ll see you later this evening Ms Sydney.” He smiled sending a worried look in the direction of Irina’s room and Sydney nodded, “Have a good day.” She said as she gently shut the door behind him.

Sydney looked to her mothers’ room and then down to the parcel in her hands debating if she should open it or not, even though her mothers’ alias was clearly marked across it.

“Oh that’s a great way to get to know your mother Sydney, go through her mail.” She scolded herself gently and proceeded down to her mothers’ room.

She couldn’t hear her mothers’ voice and rapped gently on the door, she heard something that sounded like come in and pushed open the door.

Her mother was sitting against the bed on the floor her cheeks stained with tears.

“Mom? Are you ok? What happened?” Sydney said quickly, walking over and kneeling in front of her in case she’d hurt herself again.

“That was a contact of mine… he called about your father…” Irina explained her voice chocked with tears.

“What’s happening?” Sydney asked seeing how shaken up her mother was about whatever news it was she had received, it couldn’t have been good whatever it is.

“He’s been at Camp Harris… for unrestricted interrogation.” Irina’s voice shook as she said it and Sydney could see the phone clenched in her hand.

“What does that mean?” Sydney said feeling a lump rise in her throat.
“It’s a polite term for torture Sydney… your CIA is no better then the KGB, they will interrogate your father until he admits his crime or he dies.” Irina snarled and hurled the phone past Sydney to the wall and Sydney watched the anger and fury erupt on her mother’s face. No wonder no one messed with the man, her mother was scary when angry.

Sydney felt her eyes burn and tried not to cry as Irina closed her eyes and wrapped her hands around her knees.

“What are you going to do?” Sydney asked softly and Irina reached up to wipe at her tears and looked at her daughter.

Irina was just about to answer when the phone she had hurled started to ring and Sydney turned around and crawled over to pick it up, Irina chocked out a laugh as Sydney answered it.

“Da, Sasha speaking.” She said in fluent Russian looking to Irina who smiled at her.

“Is your mother there Sasha, I have something she needs to know.” Said a male voice and Sydney nodded keeping her curiosity in check.

“Da, she is.” She handed over the phone and Irina sniffed before answering.

“Da Dimitri,” Irina nodded as Sydney crawled back over to sit next to Irina who wrapped her arm through Sydney’s and intertwined her fingers with Sydney’s.

Sydney lent her head on Irina’s shoulder as her mother talked in fast paced Russian to the man on the other end, Sydney could keep up but thoughts of her father being tortured kept erupting in her mind and she had to use all her will power not to scream and cry.

“Oh thank god, Nyet, this is good news, thank you Dimitri, Nyet, I will contact you… thank you again.” Irina hung up the phone and lent back her head with a sigh.

“Good news?” Sydney asked and Irina smiled.

“Your father is being moved from Camp Harris to solitary.” Irina smiled at Sydney but she didn’t see how that was good news.

“How does that help dad?” she asked and Irina smiled.

“A maximum security prison is easier to break into then the CIA’s most top secret holding facility.” Irina grinned wickedly and Sydney knew what that look meant, one way or another Irina was going to get her husband back and if she had to break into a prison to do it, well Sydney didn’t think were was anything she could say to convince her mother not to.

“What’s that?” Irina asked and Sydney snapped out of her day dream to look down at the parcel in her hands she had almost forgotten about.

“Oh, this came for you, Marcus brought it by.” Sydney said handing it over to her mother who looked at it perplexed before using her long fingers to tear open the package and find what was inside.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dixon had been sitting at his desk thinking back over the last two weeks; much to Robert Lindsey’s disgust he had been made head of the CIA agents at the joint task force centre, when his phone rang shrilly and brought him out of his meandering thoughts.

“Marcus Dixon speaking.” He said clearly.

“Well now, you sound younger then I had thought.” Said a female British voice on the other end.

“Who is this?” he asked, no one was supposed to have his number other then the director and assistant director of the CIA.

“Jacky boy calls me Magic, I’ve got the magic touch you see, now Mr Dixon, you sent me a curious package in the mail last week from my boy Jack. I wanna know why.” She said casually and Marcus realized she was the contact he was supposed to meet and speak to on Jack’s request.

“Jack Bristow asked me to send it on to a contact he trusted. I was supposed to contact you but couldn’t find any contact details other then the address to which I was to mail Jack’s package.” He said watching the milling agents outside his office.

“I see… Jack actually said he trusted me? Well now… that’s some fin you don’t hear every day out of old Jack. He must trust you a hell of a lot to entrust you with that book.”

“We’ve worked together for years.” Marcus said leaning forward on his desk.

“Jack’s in trouble I take it or he wouldn’t have insisted on making contact.” She said calmly and Marcus sighed.

“He is; he’s been imprisoned for treason.”

She whistled and made a noise like she was sucking her teeth, “Wouldn’t have anything to do with that Mrs of his would it?” she asked casually and Marcus became curious.

“It might, what do you know about her?”

“She’s one foxy lady, I can tell you that. She’s Isabella Rossellini meets Xena warrior princess. They make one hell of a team, rather handsome looking couple when you pair them up.” She said and Marcus nodded, she obviously had met Irina, she had that exotic dangerous feel about her.

“Anyway, Jacky boy and Ms melt in your mouth were looking for their daughter who must be one hell of a stunner with parents like that, right enough they found some info they could use and that’s the last I heard of it till your package arrived.”

Marcus contemplated this and ran his hand over his face, “Ok, so obviously Jack wants us to do something, something involving Irina.” Marcus concluded.

“Hey; if you know how to get in touch with her good bloody luck to ya.” Magic replied.

Marcus nodded, that was another problem, how to get in touch with Irina.

“I’ll send an agent to you; the two of you can work on this together while I handle things from here.” Marcus said thinking back to what Michael had told him two weeks before.

“Alright Mr Dixon, I’m in London, have your man on the next flight and I’ll met them at the air port.”

“How will you know who they are?” Marcus asked thinking this woman was slightly nuts.

“Tell them to look for a Magical sign.” She hung up and Marcus sighed, more cryptic messages.

He put down the phone and picked up his mobile, punched in the number and waited.

“Michael speaking.”

“Michael, we have a lead, you’re on the next flight to London.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Irina pulled the book from out of the packaging and gasped, she didn’t think she’d see this book again.

“Mom?” Sydney asked turning to face her mother who was smiling and running her hands over the book like it was a lost treasure.

“Your father gave me this, on our first anniversary.” She explained running her long fingers over the spine.

Sydney smiled but she was also confused, why would her father send it? And how if he was in federal custody?
Irina opened the cover carefully and Sydney saw the joy and wonder on her face, with loving moves Irina flicked through the first few pages and smiled brightly.

“Your father started bringing me home these first additions after we were married, one on my birthday, at Christmas, for our anniversary and sometimes for no reason at all. He would just come home and surprise me with them.” Irina said looking to Sydney then down to the book.

“He gave them to me… after you left.” Sydney nodded and Irina looked up at her sadly, “They’ll be gone now, consumed in the fire.” She said sadly and Sydney nodded, her photos her mothers books, they would all be gone.

Irina continued to look at the book, almost marvelled by it till she spotted something odd.

“What is that?” she said softly flicking to the centre of the book and both she and Sydney swapped looks before Irina picked them up delicately.

“I didn’t think he’d keep these.” Irina said softly.

Sydney smiled and touched them gently as if to reaffirm to herself that they were real, they were.

Photos of Sydney, Irina and Sydney, Irina and Emily, Irina on the couch in their old home, Jack and Irina together, it was only a few photos but they meant the world to Irina.

Irina laughed at one of the photos and Sydney looked at her curiously, “Oh, I remember that day, I was feeling particular pregnant and ungraceful and your father came in and snuck a photo of me. I belted him with a pillow.” Irina grinned and handed Sydney the photo.

Sydney looked at it and smiled, her mother looked anything but ungraceful, even pregnant she had a certain poise and air about her. “You look happy.” Sydney said softly around the emotional lump in her throat.

“I was… we were.” Irina nodded and took back the photo.

“Why would dad send these?” Sydney asked trying to see her fathers’ logic, as usual it escaped her.

“I’m not sure.” Irina said setting the photos aside and flicking through the book.

As she neared the back of the book a folded sheaf of paper fell out and Irina snatched it up.

“It’s written in code.” She said unfolding the paper and reading it.

“Do you know the cipher?” Sydney asked looking at it over her mothers shoulder.

“It’s similar to one I’ve used before; he also used to encrypt your cross word puzzles like this.” Irina said standing up and Sydney blinked, Irina looked down at Sydney and smiled.

“I knew he was doing it and I kept telling him not to, but he said you seemed to enjoy the challenge.” Irina said as Sydney pushed herself up.

“I did, I just can’t believe you remember.”

Irina smiled and cupped Sydney’s face in one hand, “Of course I remember, I never forgot the loving home and family I once had.” She said softly before heading out into the lounge with Sydney following.

“Mom, why didn’t you stay? If you knew what they would do to you, why didn’t you stay?” Sydney asked as her mother searched for a blank page and a pen.

“If I had refused extraction they would have killed us all, you, me, your father, anyone they thought might have been a risk, anyone they thought I might have spoken to, too many people would have suffered if I stayed.” Irina explained and Sydney nodded, of course.

“Now, the question is, how did your father send this and why.” Irina said finding pen and paper and sitting at the small kitchen table.

“Dad’s a man of many mysteries.” Sydney smiled and slid onto the seat across from Irina and she saw her mother smile, “One of the things I loved about him, it also drove me mad but it was charming in a strange way.” She said not looking up at Sydney, her eyes flew across the page her father had sent and her hand scribbled across her paper.

There is it my dears! Read review and as always enjoy!!

“A maximum security prison is easier to break into then the CIA’s most top secret holding facility.” Irina grinned wickedly and Sydney knew what that look meant, one way or another Irina was going to get her husband back and if she had to break into a prison to do it, well Sydney didn’t think were was anything she could say to convince her mother not to.
Yeah, she's going to bring Jack bac, that's excellent news !
The Bristow women bonding is very nice, and soon SpyDaddy will make it 3 ! I can't wait for the family reunion, thanks for the PM

Back