The confusion hits!

Alright, so the graphics card suddenly blew. One long beep, two short. Good news is that once I replace it, it will be the last of the parts that have been causing me problems. No more MSI. No more parts from an old, cheap walmart computer. I'm hopeful that it will mean an end to the badness.

Edit: Suggestions on Video Card manufacturers welcome. I'm looking at eVGA right now, but up for looking at others.

Yar.. I recommended eVGA to you. I have always received reliable Nvidia cards from them.

You might take a look at newegg.com - Aside from great prices, service, etc., it is a great place to read buyer's reviews of each card from each manufacturer. Run, don't walk.

Is BFG a nice, trustworthy company, though? I thought I heard it was, but I thought that with MSI too. I'm just worried now about another bad company..

Alright, something seems strange here.. Borrowed a friend's graphics card to get me by until I coud get another. The computer worked for a day and then, when I turned it off, it wasn't able to start back up. Same error beeps.. Video card error..

Edit: Someday I'll get smart about computers... This is, from now on, the "Audie's stupidness" thread. I'm just lucky I make friends with a lot of Techs..

BFG is not a good vid card, imho. They usually take their on board processors and over clock them.. ie: easy to overheat in less than cool situations/environments. I've had a felgercarb load of them blow on me. :( Not only that, but stock NVidia drivers don't always work, and NVidia won't warranty them in the slightest.

Thanks. Not needing a new one anymore..but something is still up since it did it again today when I was stupid enough to turn off my computer the night before.

I'm guessing it has to be either the motherboard or the hard drive.

BFG makes a good card for those who are aware that it is factory overclocked, and in the instances where it is needed can provide the extra care necessary to make sure those cards don't blow. If you don't know what "Overclocked" means, or only have a vague idea, going with BFG probably shouldn't be your first choice (unless you're buying a really, really low end card). They make a good product (in my opinion) because I would overclock my video card anyway, and at least this way I don't have to void the manufacturer's warrenty by doing so.

I was an idiot.. It was my power strip. Probably caused by the time my power supply blew. So far, MSI is still the cause of all my woes!! The computer was just plain not getting enough power.

I was an idiot.. It was my power strip. Probably caused by the time my power supply blew. So far, MSI is still the cause of all my woes!! The computer was just plain not getting enough power.

Generally if your computer isn't getting enough power it's not your power strip's fault, but your power supply's.

Or maybe it wasn't the strip and it was me just continually resetting the CMOS through the battery.. Anyone know if a bad battery could cause it to read the wrong errors and/or keep making it so I need to reinstall my graphics drivers?

Most likely.. Drivers not being able to stay correctly, still have it saying the graphics card is bad with each turn off until the CMOS is reset..

If I can figure out how to set the spare board up to recognize SATA before IDE, I'll still be set, so bad board isn't too big of a deal.

Alright! Yes, I'm back once more.

Computer now either has the graphics card error beeps or just nothing at all(but everything still runs, just no beeps and no picture) with start-up. We've gotten it to post a couple times(each with one RAM stick being in), but both times we were unlucky and the hard drive wasn't in and it wouldn't happen the same way a second time.

Things tried...

Swapping out graphics cards
Swapping out motherboards
Trying one ram stick at a time
Trying no ram sticks
Disconnected CD drive and hard drive
Changing monitors.
Resetting CPU, RAM, and Graphics card
Replugging everything in
Trying another outlet in the house

And lastly...

Resetting via the CMOS battery

Anyone computer savvy have any suggestions? Could a processor cause these sorts of problems because that seems to be the only thing left..

After reading this thread, there's an electrical something wrong with your machine. Sounds like this might have been caused by a static discharge. If that's the case, you'd need a professional to check each component to see if it's been damaged. This is, sadly, expensive.

Can you give the specs (or make/model) of all your equipment? The only thing I've seen that makes sense (if the equipment is fine) is everything being underpowered.

We're actually starting to think that it's the RAM. Problem is, I can't find anyone who sells PC6400 RAM anywhere near my town so it wont be here in time for me.

The stuff..

Maxtor SATA hard drive. Currently can't remember the rpms or gigs, but it was enough to make a multimedia student never go wanting.

2 gigs of Patriot RAM, DDR2 800, PC 6400

AMD Athlon 64 x2 processor, 2.1 gHz

nVidia Geforce 7900GT graphics card

Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe mtherboard

Back