The Great Escape

Carrie is being a good friend right now. I think that Syd needs to just take it one day at a time with Michael. Can't wait to find out what that evil COW said during her interogation.
Thanks for the PM

just found this fic. this is such an amazing story! pls update soon! carrie was so sweet. and im soooo glad that vaughn and syd are together and that the witch is gone. :D

A/N: Sorry for the short update, and the length of time between updates. I just was really excited about this part. Probably two or three more chapters until the next part of the trilogy. Let me know your thoughts. The quote listed here was actually part of my wedding vows. Amazing.

Chapter 17

Vaughn’s POV

To say that I was a little surprised when I got a call from Barnett this afternoon would be an understatement. I know I’m meeting with her tomorrow morning, but when she told me not to go into the JTF until I came to see her, I couldn’t help but wonder what in the world was waiting for me the next morning.

I put my free time to good use though, looking up some apartment listings in the area, and going to see which places would be to my liking. I only got to tour one place, and it just didn’t feel right to me. I don’t know why, but it just wasn’t someplace that I could see as “home”. I did however get three appointments set for the tomorrow after my meeting with Barnett to view some other places, so at least I’m on the right track.

On my way back from the meeting with the one realtor, I decide to blow off some steam and head off to the pistol range. My accuracy never fails, so I don’t really need the practice, but there is something oddly therapeutic about pumping rounds off into a piece of paper with a silhouette printed on it. Especially when you can imagine anyone’s face on it at all, and no one is any the wiser.

I stayed there until the range closed at 7, not realizing that it’s take me over three hours to blow off steam. I could have possibly powered a locomotive, I think.

On my way back to Eric’s I find that I just don’t want to go back. I know I’m still trying to deny any of what’s happened, and get away from it. I just can’t bring myself to face the Greek tragedy that is now my life. So, instead I take a detour. A long detour.

I drive the beach where I scattered Sydney’s ashes, then I drive several miles down PCH to the beach where I married Lauren. My thoughts scatter like leaves on the wind. I wonder if she ever really loved me. If Lauren is even her name. If she’s really the senator’s daughter. How in the world the senator plays into all this mess.

Sitting on the spot where I swore to love her faithfully, I’m awash with the odd mix of emotions. I feel so guilty for breaking my promise, but then I realize that guilt is the one thing I shouldn’t be feeling right now. I know this isn’t my fault. I have to know this isn’t my fault.

At least this way, it’s cut and dry. It’s her fault. I can take solace in knowing it’s her fault. She’s the liar, the traitor, the one who wasn’t in love. Well, maybe the last one isn’t totally true.

And I honestly wonder if I ever loved her. What is love anyway? I know that I love Sydney, but if what I have for Sydney is love, how could what I felt for Lauren be love, because it never even compared. It was a single grain of sand on this beach in comparison to my love for Sydney that could fill all the beaches in the world.

I remember vaguely from “War and Peace” a quote that seemed to sum it up for me. “Love hinders death. Love is life. All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love. Everything is, everything exists, only because I love. Everything is united by it alone. Love is God, and to die means that I, a particle of love, shall return to the general and eternal source.”

My love for Sydney is what hindered my death. That connection to her, that eternal connection is what kept me alive those two years she was missing. And now, I can only make sense of the fact that I love her. I try to make sense of the betrayal, the agony, the sorrow, but the only part of it that truly makes sense to me is the true love I have for Syd.

With this final thought, I pick myself up off the sand, finally at peace with the fact that nothing makes sense to me but her. It’s okay. Because it’s supposed to be that way. Tolstoy said so. Funny how it all began with Tolstoy, and it’s finally coming to fruition with Tolstoy.

As I leave the beach, I drive off to my favorite little used book store, looking for a copy of “War and Peace” needing a concrete reminder of what I finally unearthed at the beach tonight. I grab the book, find the passage after a bit of scouring the pages, and dog ear the page.

Paying for the book quickly, I head back to Syd’s apartment. I need her to know where my head is at right the second. The car can’t get me there fast enough, and I break more than a few laws in my attempt to get there faster than humanly possible.

As I bound up the walkway to her door, knowing she’s home because her car is in the lot, I stop before knocking. Will she want to know this? Does she care?

And I realize it’s stupid to ask. She needs this revelation as much as I do.

“Vaughn, where were you all afternoon?” she asks concerned as she opens the door for me.

“I went to the range and then headed off to the beach, but I have something I need to show you,” I say, handing her the book.

“You know I love this book, but what do you want to show me?” she says, not understanding, starting to flip pages in her favorite novel of all time.

“Go to the dog eared page,” I say. “About half way down, look at the marked passage.”

Her eyes scan the page, and tears begin to well up in the corners of them.

“Syd, I was at the beach, the beach where I got married, trying to make sense of all this. I just don’t know how to get my head around it. There’s too much to process. Too much to compartmentalize. And I remembered this quote from the one time I actually read this book. Your favorite book. And all of a sudden it made sense to me. It’s okay that none of the rest of it is within my grasp. You are. That’s all that matters. Does this make any sense?”

And she puts the book down, crosses the few feet between us and throws her arms around my neck, squeezing tighter than I think she ever has. I can feel her tears streaming down onto my neck. It’s like someone has opened up her flood gates, onto the shoulder of my suit jacket.

Pulling away, I look into her eyes. And all that I can see beyond the tears is the joy and the love she has. It’s who she is. It’s who I want to be. And she loves me. She is my eternal source.

awww that was very sweet :smiley: *sigh* you know the S/V fluff never gets old :D always makes me wanna go :love: :lol:
--Mandy :angelic:

Back